A man and a woman have been charged with assault and banned from Adelaide Oval for three months following another violent altercation during an AFL match on Friday night.
- The altercation occurred during Adelaide’s clash against Essendon on Friday night
- Two people have been banned from Adelaide Oval for three months
- Footage of the altercation was captured and posted on social media
Footage has emerged of the altercation during the clash between Adelaide and Essendon at Adelaide Oval just after 9:00pm.
The footage, posted on social media, has been viewed more than 100,000 times since the game.
Police today said they were called by security to the incident on the eastern side of the oval during the third quarter of the game between the Crows and Bombers.
Footage appears to show a woman standing and hitting a man standing in the next row in the face.
The alleged victim then appears to grab the woman by her arm, which prompts another man nearby to charge towards him.
Spectators seated nearby also tried to intervene before security guards were forced to break up the altercation.
Rory Laird is tackled by Dyson Heppell during the clash at Adelaide oval on Friday. (AAP: David Mariuz)
Two charged and banned from stadium
The fight occurred during Essendon’s second-half comeback against the Crows, with the Bombers winning the game 15.6 (96) to 10.15 (75).
Police this morning said a 26-year-old woman from Sheidow Park was arrested and charged with assault, resisting arrest and failing to provide her details to police.
A 26-year-old man from Sheidow Park was also charged with assault.
Both were issued with orders barring them from attending Adelaide Oval for three months.
They were bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on August 30.
Games ‘marred’ by crowd behaviour
The altercation comes as the AFL continues its push against violence at football matches.
In March, the opening AFL match between Richmond and Carlton was marred by a brawl between a number of men, one of whom was fined $322.
Another brawl broke out between fans of Carlton and Collingwood during a clash in May this year.
Footage of spectators fighting was also captured during a clash at Adelaide Oval between Port Adelaide and Essendon in 2018.
Last year, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan addressed the issue but ruled out segregating opposition fans.
“Segregation is not happening,” McLachlan told Triple M at the time.
“We have seven million people go to our game … everyone gets on famously, it’s a part of our game, sitting with opposition supporters, we’re able to do it the right way and have a great time,” he said.
The Adelaide Oval Management Authority has been contacted by the ABC in regards to Friday night’s incident.