The Pentagon said it would pull funding from 127 defence projects, including schools and childcare centres for military families, as it diverts $US3.6 billion ($5.3 billion) to fund President Donald Trump’s wall along the US border with Mexico.
- Schools for the children of US military members will be affected by the decision
- A Pentagon official said in a briefing that the Defence Department was given a “lawful order” by Mr Trump to divert the funds
- The wall was a central promise of Mr Trump’s 2016 campaign and remains central to his immigration policies
Schools for the children of US military members from Kentucky to Germany and Japan would be affected.
A childcare centre at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, the home of Air Force One, will also have its funds diverted, the Pentagon said.
Mr Trump declared a national emergency earlier this year to access the funds from the military construction budget.
In March, the Pentagon sent to Congress a broad list of projects that could be affected.
A Pentagon official said in a briefing that the Defence Department was given a “lawful order” by Mr Trump to divert the funds.
She said the Pentagon was working closely with Congress and its allies abroad to find funding to replace money diverted for the wall, but that there were not any guarantees that those funds would come.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon said the first $US1.8 billion ($2.6 billion) would come from projects outside the United States, followed by projects inside the country.
Diversion of military funds ‘will undermine national security’
Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said the Trump administration’s reallocation of funds was a “slap in the face” to members of the US military.
The US Military Academy at West Point in New York is the most expensive project affected in the United States, with $US95 million ($140 million) pulled from construction on its engineering centre.
The list of affected projects also included roads, maintenance shops, equipment storage buildings and hazardous material warehouses.
Mr Trump declared a national emergency earlier this year to access the funds. (AP: Jacquelyn Martin)
The wall was a central promise of Mr Trump’s 2016 campaign and remains central to his immigration policies as he aims for re-election in 2020.
Some $US30 million ($44 million) in funds for an equipment building at Fort Huachuca in southern Arizona will be diverted to pay for the wall.
Republican US Senator Martha McSally of Arizona said she fought to ensure no projects in her state would be affected and was guaranteed of that by former acting Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan.
She said in a statement the Fort Huachuca project was already delayed.
House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a call with fellow Democrats on Tuesday that the diversion of military funds “will undermine our national security, quality of life and morale of our troops, and that indeed makes America less safe”, according to an aide.