Police officer Peter Bravos has appeared in court over alleged rape charges. (ABC News: Felicity James)
A former Northern Territory assistant police commissioner facing trial on four counts of sexual intercourse without consent has argued against handing over his passport because he wants to compete in an international sailing regatta.
- An offer of a $500,000 surety was accepted by the judge and prosecutor
- Peter Bravos has resigned from the NT Police and applied for Greek citizenship
- An judge from interstate may need to be appointed due to a conflict of interest
At a bail review in the Northern Territory Supreme Court on Thursday morning, Crown Prosecutor Tamara Grealy said Peter Bravos was a flight risk after quitting his job with NT Police in June and should surrender his passport.
“Now that he’s no longer employed, it’s a significant tie to the Northern Territory that is no longer there,” Ms Grealy said.
“He’s got connections to outside of Australia.”
Application for dual citizenship
The court also heard Bravos applied for dual Greek citizenship in November 2018 but that it was yet to be approved.
Mr Bravos has skippered his yacht, Anastasia, in the Darwin to Ambon Yacht Race since 2014 and offered a $500,000 security in order to keep his passport and compete in this year’s event.
His barrister, John Lawrence SC, said it was unlikely Bravos would “kidnap six crew members” and become a fugitive.
“We disagree with the discomfort the Crown is feeling… There isn’t any plausible risk,” Mr Lawrence argued.
Justice Judith Kelly said although surrendering a passport while on bail was “a pretty standard condition”, Mr Bravos had “a pretty good reason for not wanting to do that”.
Instead, the Crown and Justice Kelly were satisfied with the offer of a $500,000 surety, to be guaranteed by his wife, Cindy Bravos.
Concerns over conflict of interest
The court also heard a judge from interstate might have to be appointed for the duration of the April trial, due to conflicts of interest with most sitting Northern Territory judges.
Last month, Justice Dean Mildren recused himself from the trial due to family connections to a key witness, who has worked extensively as a solicitor in the Northern Territory.
John Lawrence SC said the witness was “pivotal” to the defence case.
The trial is scheduled for April 2020.