Wolf Creek actor John Jarratt has dropped a defamation action he launched against Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph newspaper.
- John Jarratt was unanimously found not guilty of rape last month
- A woman he lived with in a share house in the 1970s had alleged he raped her
- The claims were first published in The Daily Telegraph
The 66-year-old was acquitted of raping a 19-year-old woman in an eastern Sydney share house more than 40 years ago.
Last month a District Court jury returned a unanimous not guilty verdict.
The legal action against Nationwide News was commenced in November last year, pending the outcome of the trial.
After Jarratt was cleared, his high-profile lawyer Chris Murphy announced on Twitter that proceedings against the Telegraph would go ahead.
“The civil Statement of Claim was filed pending resolution of police charges,” he said.
“Documents will now be served on the defendant.”
But a spokeswoman from the Supreme Court of New South Wales has confirmed the actor filed a notice of discontinuance last Friday.
Proceedings were set to start in court on August 18.
Mr Jarratt was charged in August 2018 after the woman went to police in late 2017.
He insisted that the extramarital sex he had when living with the woman in a share house in 1976 was consensual.
He told the court that the woman had beckoned him into a bedroom and told him to be quiet to avoid waking his wife, Rosa Miano.
He had told police he first heard about the rape claim when he saw the story on the front page of the Sydney newspaper.
A jury cleared the actor of rape on July 5.
It followed another defamation case against Nationwide News by the actor Geoffrey Rush, with the media group ordered to pay nearly $2.9 million for defaming him.
The Daily Telegraph had published allegations that Mr Rush had behaved inappropriately towards a colleague while performing King Lear with the Sydney Theatre Company.