Embattled SA Liberal MP Sam Duluk will be summonsed to court to face a basic assault charge over his alleged behaviour at a parliamentary Christmas party.
- Sam Duluk was accused of slapping a female MP on the behind at a Christmas party
- SA Police have confirmed a man has been reported for an assault that allegedly occurred on December 13
- Premier Steven Marshall said it was now a matter for police
A police spokesperson confirmed today that a 36-year-old man from the southern suburbs was reported for basic assault alleged to have occurred on December 13 in Adelaide.
Mr Duluk is accused of slapping SA Best MP Connie Bonaros on the behind and making inappropriate comments to staffers at the event at Parliament House late last year.
He has since apologised on social media and in Parliament, where he expressed his “deep regret”, saying he had started a “journey of recovery”, getting professional help for his alcohol use.
He was also accused of making racist and homophobic comments to people at the party.
Mr Duluk quit his position as chair of a parliamentary committee once his behaviour was revealed.
Parliament’s Speaker Vincent Tarzia has commissioned an inquiry through a private investigator, despite admitting he did not have any power to discipline Mr Duluk if there was a finding of wrongdoing.
Premier Steven Marshall said he had only just learned of the police investigation moments before he was due to address the media on a separate matter.
He said it was now a matter for police.
SA Best MLC Connie Bonaros was subjected to Mr Duluk’s inappropriate behaviour. (Supplied: Twitter)
“I don’t have any specific information and I’ve only just seen the media reports,” he said.
“That’s clearly a matter for the police to conduct and the Government won’t be intervening in any way.”
The Premier would not comment on whether or not he thought it was appropriate for the backbencher to remain in Parliament, or the Liberal Party.
“I’d rather just get an update from the police before I make any comment,” he said.
Mr Marshall said Ms Bonaros had not raised any concerns with him about the handling of the incident since last December.
He said he hoped the matter would be resolved in the “next few days”.