US and Taliban close to signing peace deal, 5,000 troops to be withdrawn





Posted

September 03, 2019 16:36:15

The United States will withdraw almost 5,000 troops from Afghanistan and close five bases within 135 days under a draft peace accord agreed with the Taliban, chief US negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad says.

Key points:

  • Taliban will not allow militant groups to use Afghanistan to attack US and allies.
  • No confirmation on the withdrawal of the remaining 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan
  • Anger as Afghan Government kept out of the US-Taliban talks

This comes as a Taliban suicide attack killed at least 16 people and injured 119 on Monday in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

The deal, reached after months of negotiations with representatives from the insurgent movement, must still be approved by US President Donald Trump before it can be signed, Mr Khalilzad said in an interview with Afghanistan’s Tolo News television.

“In principle, we have got there,” he said. “The document is closed.”

In exchange for the phased withdrawal, the Taliban would commit not to allow Afghanistan to be used by militant groups such as Al Qaeda or Islamic State as a base for attacks on the United States and its allies.

The distance that must still be covered before peace is achieved was underlined, however, by the large explosion that rocked Kabul, even as Mr Khalilzad’s interview was being aired, shaking buildings several kilometres away.

Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said the blast was caused by a tractor packed with explosives close to Green Village, a residential compound in eastern Kabul used by foreign staff of international groups including aid organisations.

He said around 400 foreign nationals were evacuated from the heavily protected site, located off a major road in an area of houses and shops.

Mr Khalilzad, a veteran Afghan-American diplomat, said the aim of the deal was to end the war and that it would lead to a reduction in violence.

But, he said, there was no formal ceasefire agreement and it would be up to negotiations among Afghans themselves to agree to a settlement.

Mr Khalilzad declined to say how long the rest of the roughly 14,000 US troops would remain in Afghanistan after the first stage of the withdrawal, although Taliban officials previously insisted all foreign forces must leave.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has been briefed on a draft of the accord and will look at details of the deal before giving an opinion, his spokesman said on Monday.

Mr Khalilzad said “intra-Afghan” talks, which might be held in Norway, would aim to reach a broader political settlement and end the fighting between the Taliban and the Western-backed Government in Kabul.

Details of any future negotiations remain unclear, with the Taliban so far refusing to deal directly with the Government, which it considers an illegitimate “puppet” regime.

Direct negotiations

Mr Ghani met Mr Khalilzad and will “study and assess” details of the draft, spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told reporters earlier on Monday.

“But for us, a meaningful peace or a path to a meaningful peace is the end of violence and direct negotiation with the Taliban,” Mr Sediqqi said.

Many Afghan Government officials have resented the exclusion of the Government from the US-Taliban talks, an issue that was underlined when Mr Ghani was not allowed to keep a text of the draft agreement after it was shown to him.

Several details of the agreement remain to be clarified, including the status to be accorded to the Taliban, which the draft recognises under their preferred title as the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.

Some Afghan officials object to that as they see it according the insurgents an equivalent status to the country’s internationally recognised Government.

At the same time, presidential elections, scheduled for September 8 in which Mr Ghani is seeking re-election to a second five-year term, were not covered in the agreement, Mr Khalilzad said. The Taliban have consistently rejected the elections.

Mr Khalilzad, who has completed nine rounds of talks with Taliban representatives, is scheduled to hold meetings with a number of Afghan leaders in Kabul this week to build a consensus before the deal is signed.

Relentless violence

The peace talks have taken place against a backdrop of relentless violence, even before Monday’s blast in Kabul, with the Taliban mounting two large-scale attacks on the major northern cities of Kunduz and Pul-e Khumri at the weekend.

Afghan security forces pushed back Taliban fighters from both cities, but a suicide bomber detonated his explosives on Monday in Kunduz, killing at least six policemen and wounding 15, officials and the Taliban said.

Mr Trump has made little secret of his desire to bring the 14,000 US troops home from Afghanistan, where American troops have been deployed since a US-led campaign to overthrew the Taliban in 2001.

But there are concerns among Afghan officials and US national security aides about a US withdrawal, with fears Afghanistan could be plunged into a new civil war that could herald a return of Taliban rule and allow international militants, including Islamic State, to find a refuge.

Armed attackers, who planned to follow up the Taliban tractor bomb on Monday, were killed by security forces, Mr Rahimi said.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack had destroyed rooms and offices of “invaders”.

“Enemy claims of civilian losses are false as no civilians were allowed close to the site of the attack,” he said in a tweet.

Reuters

Topics:

unrest-conflict-and-war,

terrorism,

foreign-affairs,

afghanistan,

united-states



Source link

About the Author

Australia News
More Than 20 Years in News and jobs

Be the first to comment on "US and Taliban close to signing peace deal, 5,000 troops to be withdrawn"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: